10 Best Female Probiotics
From improving your cardiovascular health to enhancing your mental clarity, from easing allergies to reducing eczema flares, from boosting your stamina to supporting digestive health; probiotics are beneficial for your overall health and well-being in a variety of ways. While both men and women can benefit from probiotics, they’re particularly beneficial for women.
In fact, they’re so advantageous that they’re one of the top supplements that holistic and homeopathic health professionals recommend for women.
What are probiotics? Why are they so beneficial for females? What are the best probiotics for women? To find the answers to these questions and more – and to discover how you can enhance your overall health and well-being and feel better than you have in years,
keep on reading.
If you don’t have time to read the complete article, check out our editor’s top picks below.
Table of Contents
- 1 Editor’s Pick
- 2 10 Best Probiotics for Women
- 2.1 1. Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics for Women
- 2.2 2. Marty Ruth’s Organic Liquid Probiotic
- 2.3 3. Doctor’s Recipes Women’s Probiotics
- 2.4 4. Ora Organic Probiotics with Prebiotics
- 2.5 5. Love Wellness Good Girl Vaginal Probiotics
- 2.6 6. Prebiotics and Probiotics for Women 70 by UpNourish
- 2.7 7. Culturelle Probiotics for Women
- 2.8 8. Physician’s Choice Probiotics
- 2.9 9. Vitamin Bounty Women’s Pro-Daily
- 2.10 10. Jarrow Formulas Fem-Dophilus
- 3 What are Probiotics?
10 Best Probiotics for Women
Now that you have a good understanding of what probiotics are, why they’re important, and the health benefits they provide for women, you’re probably wondering how you can increase the levels of good bacteria in your body. One of the easiest and most effective ways is through supplementation.
There are so many probiotics on the market for women that trying to figure out what to choose can seem overwhelming and can feel quite daunting. To help simplify the process and steer you in the right direction, we’ve taken the liberty of doing the research for you. Below, you’ll find our top picks for the 10 best probiotics for women.
1. Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics for Women
Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics for Women is our top pick, but don’t just take our word for it; it’s also highly recommended by nutritionists, as it does wonders for treating poor gut health. It’s specially formulated with 16 diverse strains of Lacto and Bifido, as well as a strain of acidophilus. It contains L. reuteri and L. fermentum, too.
Formulated by doctors to address the specific health needs of women, this probiotic supplement for women supports vaginal health, gut health, and strengthens the immune system, too. The organic prebiotic fiber sand probiotic strains were hand-picked for their potency, as well as their ability to resist stomach acid and bile.
This supplement is free of GMOs and is gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-free, and vegetarian, too. Because they’re shelf-stable, you don’t have to keep them cold like a lot of other probiotics require, so you can easily store them in your medicine cabinet or tote them around in your bag.
- Contains 16 strains of probiotics
- Doctor formulated
- Offers a myriad of health benefits
- Some users said that they experienced bloating and gas when taking this supplement
2. Marty Ruth’s Organic Liquid Probiotic
If you have a hard time swallowing pills or you just don’t like to, then Marty Ruth’s Organic Liquid Probiotic would be a great choice for you. A USDA organic liquid probiotic, it’s specially formulated to support the health of women’s guts and immune systems.
The blend of 12 probiotic strains supports a healthy microbiome and digestive tract. A proprietary blend of probiotics, this formula contains some of the most vital health bacteria for women, such as Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus salivarius, Streptococcus thermophiles, and Bifidobacterium bifidum, among others. It also contains purified water and organic alfalfa grass.
This probiotic supplement for women is USDA organic and vegan. It’s also dairy-free, nut-free, gluten-free, wheat-free, soy-free, and sugar-free. On top of all of these benefits, Mary Ruth’s Organic Liquid Probiotic has a neutral taste, which makes it even easier to take.
- Contains 12 probiotic strains
- Certified USDA organic and vegan
- Liquid formula is easy to take
- A few people said that they didn’t experience any benefit from the formula
3. Doctor’s Recipes Women’s Probiotics
If you’re looking for a gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free probiotic that has received rave reviews and won’t break the bank, Doctor’s Recipes Women’s Probiotics is a great choice. This daily probiotic contains 50 billion CFUs from 16 clinically proven strains of probiotics that are known to support digestive and immune health.
The probiotics in this formula were selected because they help to boost vaginal flora and urinary tract health. The addition of cranberries, which acts as a prebiotic, helps the probiotics thrive and the two work together to deliver more robust health benefits.
Thanks to the delayed release delivery of this formula, the probiotics will remain intact within the stomach acid so that they’re still alive when they make it to the intestinal tract. This helps to optimize the potency. Shelf-stable, naturally sourced ingredients, and made in the USA, this non-GMO, soy-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free formula is also affordably priced.
- Contains 16 clinically proven probiotic strains
- Contains organic cranberry extract
- Delayed release formula means the probiotics will remain alive until they reach the gut
- Some users said that they experienced cramping
4. Ora Organic Probiotics with Prebiotics
Next up on our list of the best probiotics for women is this option from Ora Organic. Featuring 6 probiotic strains with 16 billion CFU per serving, the strains that were selected for this formula have been studied extensively for the health benefits that they offer.
The strains featured in this formula include Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus reuteri, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium breve, Bifidobacterium lactis, and Bifidobacterium longum. This premium quality probiotic is organic and vegan-friendly; furthermore, it’s gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and GMO-free.
In addition to the probiotics this formula contains, it also features prebiotic fiber derived from organic Jerusalem artichoke and organic tapioca, which helps to drive the powerful health benefits of the probiotics. It’s ideal for sensitive stomachs, too, and because it’s shelf-stable, you don’t have to worry about cold storage.
- Contains 6 clinically studied probiotic strains
- Organic, GMO-free, soy-free, gluten-free, dairy-free
- Contains organic Jerusalem artichoke and organic tapioca, which serves as a prebiotic that fuels the health benefits of the probiotics
- It doesn’t contain as many probiotics as other formulas featured on this list.
5. Love Wellness Good Girl Vaginal Probiotics
Support the health of your gut and your vagina, maintain a healthy weight, and take advantage of the many other health benefits that probiotics are known to provide with Love Wellness Good Girl Vaginal Probiotics.
This blend is specially formulated to maintain both vaginal and urinary tract health while supporting normal pH levels in the vagina. It also promotes gut health and boosts the immune system. This formula is gluten-free and dairy-free, which further adds to the benefits that it provides.
Taking advantage of the benefits that Love Wellness Good Girl Probiotics offers is easy. Simply take 2 capsules a day, with or without food, and that’s it! It’s also shelf-stable, so no refrigeration is necessary.
- Specially formulated to maintain vaginal and urinary tract health
- Strengthens the immune system and gut health
- A few users said that they didn’t experience any difference
6. Prebiotics and Probiotics for Women 70 by UpNourish
Another great choice for probiotics for women is this formula from UpNourish. It’s a complete probiotic supplement that is specially formulated for women. The formula is unique from others on our list, as the goodness is delivered via fast-melts in delicious strawberry flavor.
Each packet supplies 70 billion CFU and 17 daily probiotic strains, as well as caviar collagen peptides, prebiotic soluble fiber, cranberry, and d-mannose. It offers more than just probiotics and prebiotics for women, but it’s also a complete female health supplement that supports digestive, immune, vagina, joint, and skin health, while also helping to maintain a healthy weight.
The peptides featured in this formula are sourced from Denmark caviar and sturgeon fish. No need for water with this supplement, as the fast-melt powder dissolves on the tongue. Of course, you can add it to a cold beverage, too, or mix it in with foods like yogurt or cottage cheese.
- Contains 17 daily probiotic strains
- Features caviar collagen peptides
- Fast-melt strawberry-flavored powder; no water needed
- We couldn’t find any information about GMOs, dairy, gluten, etc.
7. Culturelle Probiotics for Women
Culturelle is a well-known name in the supplement industry, and its probiotics for women have been well-received. In fact, at the time of writing, there were more than 23,200 reviews on Amazon, most of which were positive, and it had a 4.5-star rating.
Featuring five probiotic strains that are clinically proven for the health benefits they offer, this unique blend is formulated to help women maintain a healthy balance of good bacteria in their guts, including LGG strain. This multi-strain probiotic works with your body to support vaginal and digestive health, and to strengthen the immune system.
- Contains 5 clinically proven probiotic strains
- Supports vagina, digestive, and immune health
- Affordably priced
- It is not shelf-stable and needs to be kept cold
8. Physician’s Choice Probiotics
With Physician’s Choice Probiotics, you’ll receive a 2-month supply of probiotics that contain 60 billion CFUs per serving. The probiotics and prebiotics used in this formula are backed by clinical research and are known to support optimal digestive health.
It features 10 probiotic strains and the ingredients are completely GMO-free. It’s also vegan-free, dairy-free, egg-free, wheat-free, peanut-free, shellfish-free, and gluten-free. The capsules are stored in a patented shelf-stable bottle, so no refrigeration is necessary.
- Delivers 60 billion CFUs per serving
- Made with 10 clinically proven probiotic strains
- Features prebiotics to aid in absorption
- A couple of users reported feeling bloated
9. Vitamin Bounty Women’s Pro-Daily
Next up is the Women’s Pro-Daily supplement from Vitamin Bounty. It features targeted probiotic strains that are known to support women’s health. It also contains cranberry, which helps to support digestive health, as well as key minerals and extracts that have been found to work well with a variety of powerful prebiotic FOS and probiotics.
The formula supports vaginal health, gut health, immune system, urinary health, and more. Because of it’s delayed release, the microorganisms will remain alive until they reach the gut.
- Features targeted probiotic strains
- Contains cranberry
- Delayed release formula
- A few users reported worsening symptoms
10. Jarrow Formulas Fem-Dophilus
Rounding out our list of the best probiotics for women is Jarrow Formulas Fem-Dophilus. It’s made with clinically proven probiotics that are known to promote vaginal and urinary tract health.
A special manufacturing process helps to protect the probiotic strains from the stomach acid, ensuring they remain alive until reaching the gut, allowing for better absorption and results.
This formula was specially made to improve the vaginal and urinary tract health of women; however, it also promotes gut health, supports healthy weight, and strengthens the immune system.
- Made with clinically proven probiotics
- Delayed release formula
- Specially formulated to support vaginal and urinary tract health
- Some users reported bloating
What are Probiotics?
It’s said that bacteria significantly outnumber the cells of the human body. A recent study found that the ratio of bacteria to cells is about 1-to-1. In other words, you have roughly 30 to 39 trillion bacteria living inside of your body, and the large majority of them reside in the gut.
While that might sound alarming, it shouldn’t. The vast majority of those bacteria aren’t just harmless; they’re actually extremely beneficial for you. In fact, you wouldn’t be able to survive without them, and if the bacteria levels in your body are low, your health can actually suffer.
Probiotics are living microorganisms. Not only are they a natural part of your microbiome, but they’re also present in fermented foods, as well as dietary supplements. A healthy microbiome is vital for your health in a myriad of ways.
It helps to prevent a variety of the health issues that women are commonly afflicted with, such as Candida overgrowth that can lead to yeast infections, urinary tract infections, ulcerative colitis, adult-onset acne, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO).
The health benefits that probiotics provide are credited to the essential jobs that these living microorganisms do. They aid in digestion, help you synthesize essential vitamins (riboflavin, thiamine, and B vitamins, for example), assist with water absorption, and can help you fight off harmful bacteria that can negatively impact your gut microbiome.
To further drive home the importance of probiotics for your overall health and well-being, Here’s a more in-depth look at the top benefits that these living microorganisms provide.
- Gut health. Probiotics aid in the maintenance of the proper balance of flora within the gut. Both good and bad bacteria reside in your gut. Examples of good bacteria include Streptococcus, Lactobacillus, and Bifidobacterium. Examples of some of the bad bacteria include Clostridium perfringens, Staphylococcus, and Escherichia coli.
– Good bacteria protects the cells of the intestinal wall from pathogens that can invade your gut. They do this by crowding the pathogens and literally breaking them down.
– Probiotics support the immune system, as well as the cells that are responsible for building a structure known as the extracellular matrix, which helps to repair damaged tissue and, in turn, keeps the lining of your intestinal wall in good shape.
– Probiotics also help to stop the overgrowth of bad bacteria and the problems that can be associated with excessive amounts of bad bacteria. It’s believed that they are able to do this by generating bacteriocin proteins, which kill bad bacteria.
- Improved Bowel Movements. Bowel movements are one of the ways in which the body expels toxins and waste products, thus allowing your body to remain balanced. As such, having regular bowel movements is vital for female health.
For instance, women who have frequent bowel movements have a lower risk of developing breast cancer. This may be due to the fact that the bile acids that are absorbed from the intestines are concentrated within the breasts and offer an effect that is similar to estrogen.
– Additionally, regular bowel movements can play an important part in maintaining healthy blood pressure. That’s because, believe it or not, constipation can actually lead to elevated blood pressure levels. Since probiotics account for as much as 70 percent of a healthy bowel movement, ensuring that you maintain healthy good bacteria levels is essential.
- Faster Bowel Movements. Not only do good bacteria support regular bowel movements, but they also help to speed up the transit time, or the length of time that waste stays within your body. It’s believed that Bifidobacterium lactis can help to support bowel movement transit time as it helps to move waste at optimal speeds.
- Stronger Immune System. Did you know that 80 percent of your body’s immune system lies within your gut? It’s true! For women, this is particularly important, as females are more prone to autoimmune diseases, such as thyroid conditions and lupus.
– Probiotics help to modulate the inflammation that pathogenic bacteria cause. Because chronic inflammation is a root cause of autoimmune disease, avoiding becoming inflamed is vital for your health and well-being.
- Vaginal Health. The bacteria that reside within the vagina are also impacted by probiotics. Lactobacillus, in particular, aids in vaginal health, as it produces both hydrogen peroxide and lactic acid, which helps the vagina maintain an acidic pH level. It is believed that high pH levels help to fend off the bacteria that cause infections, such as bacterial vaginosis, and possibly even some types of sexually transmitted diseases.
- Weight Support. Another way in which probiotics are beneficial for women is that they can help to maintain a healthy weight. In addition to the important role they play in digestion, probiotics also encourage the production of short-chain fatty acids that have a direct impact on both metabolism and energy. It is also believed that good bacteria play a key part in preventing the absorption of the fats that you consume, as they can help your body release the hormones that are responsible for satiety and tell you when to stop eating.