Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on November 24, 2022
The 10 Best Probiotics For Gastritis
Gastritis is the general term for a set of conditions with inflammation, irritation, or erosion of the lining of the stomach. Unfortunately, it can happen suddenly (acute gastritis) or appear slowly over time (chronic gastritis).
In some cases, gastritis can lead to ulcers and an increased risk of stomach cancers. However, it is typically curable for most people and is not usually serious.
Probiotics are beneficial live bacteria strains that help to support your digestion, promoting a healthier gut and improving your digestive functions. While it is not a cure for gastritis, it has been shown that taking probiotics can help with it and improve your symptoms and discomfort.
If you want to know the best probiotics that are most effective for gastritis, keep reading as we narrow down the top 10 best probiotics on the market.
If you don’t have time to read the complete article, check out our editor’s top picks below.
Table of Contents
- 1 Editor’s Pick
- 2 Our Shortlist For Best Probiotics For Gastritis
- 2.1 1. Supersmart – H. Pylori Fight Natural Treatment 20 Billion CFU Per Day – Lactobacillus Reuteri (Probiotic) – Acid Reflux Relief
- 2.2 2. Physician’s Choice Probiotics 60 Billion CFU
- 2.3 3. Wholesome Wellness Organic Probiotics 100 Billion CFU
- 2.4 4. GASTRICELL
- 2.5 5. Zenwise Digestive Enzymes Probiotics and Prebiotics
- 2.6 6. Gut Flora Health+ Enzymes by MaryRuth’s
- 2.7 7. Align DualBiotic, Prebiotic + Probiotic
- 2.8 8. Zenwise No Bloat – Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes for Bloating and Gas Relief
- 2.9 9. Garden of Life Raw Probiotics Ultimate Care 100 Billion CFU Probiotic Supplement
- 2.10 10. Rising Pharma – Risaquad 230mg – Probiotic Dietary Supplement Capsules
- 3 Can Probiotics Treat Gastritis?
- 4 Can Probiotics Heal Stomach Lining?
- 5 How Can I Permanently Cure Gastritis?
- 6 Does Probiotic Yogurt Help Gastritis?
- 7 What To Consider When Buying Probiotics For Gastritis
- 8 What Causes Gastritis?
- 9 Symptoms
- 10 How Do Probiotics Work?
- 11 Conclusion
Our Shortlist For Best Probiotics For Gastritis
1. Supersmart – H. Pylori Fight Natural Treatment 20 Billion CFU Per Day – Lactobacillus Reuteri (Probiotic) – Acid Reflux Relief
Containing a natural probiotic, the Lactobacillud Reuteri, Supersmart is made as a natural treatment to fight Helicobacter Pylori. As many cases of gastritis are caused by H. pylori, people will find that this probiotic helps to relieve stomachaches and pain, as well as ulcers and chronic discomfort.
You only need to take two capsules a day. Made in the USA, it only has acacia gum and rice bran, making it completely vegetarian, gluten and soy free.
- Helps within less than an hour
- Promotes long-term better health in your gut
- Works within a month to help you feel better
- Be careful since this might lower your blood pressure
2. Physician’s Choice Probiotics 60 Billion CFU
You can have 60 billion Cfus with one serving of this probiotic blend. Unlike other brands that say “equivalent to,” Physician’s Choice actually includes 10 probiotic strains as well as non-GMO ingredients. It is completely shelf-stable and vegan, without any extra preservatives. If you need support for better digestive health, this probiotic will help you with its formula, which was created based on clinical research.
People with allergies can rest assured because this probiotic has no soy, milk, wheat, egg, gluten, shellfish, peanuts, preservatives, or any unnecessary binders. Overall, you will find yourself benefitting from an improved and healthier gut while enjoying relief from constipation, intestinal issues, and gas.
- Helps with other issues like IBS as well
- The pills are a little large but they are light to help with swallowing
- Actually includes 10 probiotic strains
- People experience some bloating on these
3. Wholesome Wellness Organic Probiotics 100 Billion CFU
If you are looking for something to help with your digestive health, weight management, and even nail and hair growth, look no further than these Wholesome Wellness probiotics. They are made especially with acidophilus to have 3 trillion Cfus per bottle—and without any other ingredients either, so they are completely vegan. These high-quality probiotics contain 34 strains and are created with five types of genuine prebiotics, probiotics, and nine kinds of digestive enzymes.
People find that these 100% raw probiotics help to support their digestive system while enabling their bodies to absorb nutrients more effectively, thereby benefiting their mood, weight, and immunity.
With timed-release technology, the probiotics are not released prematurely before they reach your intestines. Instead, these raw probiotics remain fresh and secure as they make their way to your intestines, thanks to the capsules that are specially formulated with double protective layers to help them withstand the strong acids in your stomach.
They only end up dissolving and being absorbed by your body when they get to your intestines, and the probiotics start the process of colonizing.
- Works to keep daily bloating to a minimum
- Can help reduce side effects of other medications, but always consult with your doctor
- Unique timed-release technology to ensure the best results
- Some people find that they get significant results at first, then the results might start to taper off a little
Gastricell is great for those looking for some long-term relief with your gastritis and associated symptoms like heartburn, overactive production gastric acid and bloating. Made in Japan, this heat-treated probiotic has very high stability and resilience, enabling it to withstand the stomach’s harsh acids.
Overall, people find that it helps to maintain a good and healthy level of gastric acid while also improving their general immunity and supporting a poor diet.
- Helps to maintain gastric acids at a healthy level
- People notice significant results within a few months
- Helps to soothe heartburn, bloating, indigestion, and acid backflow
- May take time for it to begin working
5. Zenwise Digestive Enzymes Probiotics and Prebiotics
Just take one of these Zenwise probiotics, which is also made with prebiotics, once before a meal to find relief from gas, bloating, and uncomfortable digestion from food and alcohol. The whole probiotic blend is made to replenish your digestive enzymes with a clinically proven formula that includes plant-based ingredients for better gut health.
- Makes bowel movements more regular
- May allow you to eat trigger foods without worrying
- People tend to notice changes quickly
- Should be taken with a lot of water to stay hydrated
6. Gut Flora Health+ Enzymes by MaryRuth’s
Give your gut a boost with this blend of probiotics and enzymes made to support your health by replenishing the lining of your stomach. You only need to take one capsule up to two times per day. Rest assured that they are completely vegan, Non-GMO, wheat free, soy free, and nut free too.
Even the capsules are vegan and made with pine, so you can include them in your daily routine with ease. Overall, people find that their gastrointestinal health is well supported while also improving their colon health and general digestion.
- Helps to regular your system within about a week
- Works well with bloating and other stomach issues
- Even taking it irregularly still helps
- May not help with every situation
7. Align DualBiotic, Prebiotic + Probiotic
There is a reason why so many Gastroenterologists recommend Align, and it is not just because they are gummies that people find easy to chew. This popular probiotic brand is also made with prebiotic fiber and insulin to nourish the bacteria in your gut with only 1g of sugar and no extra ingredients either.
It helps that they taste great, too, and are convenient since you do not even need water to take them with. With 1 Billion CFUs, you will be on your way to an improved and well-supported gut.
- Perfect for bloating and inflammation
- Helpful for those with IBS too
- These are really easy to take since they are gummies
- These are a little more expensive than other options but are worth it as they are easiest to consume and very tasty.
8. Zenwise No Bloat – Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes for Bloating and Gas Relief
Pick this Zenwise supplement to help get rid of bloating for good. You can digest your food more easily and comfortably as this supplement breaks down lactose and other foods using 10mg of DE111, a reliable probiotic. You have 1 billion Cfus in this supplement, and not to mention that these are easy to store in your home too.
- Works quickly, within about half an hour
- Good for people of all ages
- Reduces bloating quickly and effectively with turmeric
- Does not work as well if you take it after a meal
9. Garden of Life Raw Probiotics Ultimate Care 100 Billion CFU Probiotic Supplement
With 100 billion probiotics and a high bifido formula, as well as 34 probiotic strains, you can take Garden of Life Raw Probiotics to help restore the good bacteria in your gut. The ingredients have all been clinically studied, and include some raw fruits and vegetables in there too.
- Concentrated formula with diverse strains of probiotics with a higher CFU count
- The capsule is very easy to swallow
- Contains a Replenish Blend that helps to repopulate your gastrointestinal tract with good bacteria
- They only work as well if you change your diet
10. Rising Pharma – Risaquad 230mg – Probiotic Dietary Supplement Capsules
You can rely on Rising Pharma to balance out the flora in your gut. If you continue to take it long-term, it can continue to improve and support your gastrointestinal health, all without containing anything that might be a potential allergen. You only need to take one capsule a day to see an improvement.
- Works great on all types of stomach issues
- Good for things like chronic nausea too
- Effective in helping to maintain the balance of microflora in your intestines
- You do need to be careful if you are also taking immunosuppressants
Can Probiotics Treat Gastritis?
Not by itself. Probiotics secrete lactic acids and other substances that negatively affect H. pylori by killing and inhibiting its ability to reproduce in your stomach. In combination with the right medications and diet, gastritis can be quickly alleviated.
Can Probiotics Heal Stomach Lining?
Yes. They help to control and prevent inflammation in the stomach lining, called the mucosa, by keeping everything balanced. Your stomach is already filled with good bacteria, which aid in digestion and keep your digestive system healthy. Replenishing those bacteria with probiotics regularly keeps your body healthier.
How Can I Permanently Cure Gastritis?
This greatly depends on what causes your gastritis. For chronic gastritis caused by infections of the gastral mucosa, a regiment of antibiotics and probiotics is the cure for gastritis.
Any damage to the mucosa from chemicals such as NSAIDs (Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, etc.) and excessive alcohol consumption, removing the substances from use entirely, along with probiotics and alternative medications, will treat gastritis quickly.
Does Probiotic Yogurt Help Gastritis?
Yes. Yogurt is the product of healthy bacteria colonies transforming the milk- the same bacteria that inhabit our stomachs and intestines that aid in the digestion and absorption of nutrients within our bodies. It is also the very same bacteria that keep our digestive system healthy and functioning.
What To Consider When Buying Probiotics For Gastritis
When choosing the best probiotic for you, you will need to determine what your goals are and if adding a probiotic supplement to your health regimen is necessary or beneficial.
If your doctor determines that you need a probiotic, there are important factors to consider when searching for one.
Probiotics are not one-size-fits-all remedies, and certain probiotic strains are much more effective for certain medical conditions and symptoms than others. Base your search for supplements with specific strains based on your needs. Your doctor can help you look in the right direction with a quick visit or diagnosis.
The effectiveness of probiotic supplements is strain-specific and disease-specific, requiring the correct strain and dosage for the condition or symptoms intended to be treated. There are different probiotic combinations for different uses, and this is key to selecting the right product for you.
Select The Best Brands
Every brand is different when it comes to the manufacturing processes, the shelf life, and the formulation type, all of which can significantly affect a probiotic supplement’s effect within the body. Purchasing probiotics from established, physician-trusted brands is your best choice for probiotic supplements.
The FDA does not check probiotics for safety concerns like they do with drugs, and this is where selecting a quality brand is very important.
Some probiotics require refrigeration or a cool environment to stay preserved. Checking the product label for proper storage instructions will help you maintain the probiotics for their maximum shelf life. In general, probiotics are not big fans of warm places and heat.
However, if they do not require refrigeration, you will want to store them in a cool and dry area.
Count The CFUs
Product quality matters. It is important to look for probiotics that contain a minimum of 106(1 million) CFUs (Colony Forming Units) per gram. Research suggests that this is the minimum amount needed to produce positive benefits for the body.
Even when just looking for a probiotic supplement to add to your daily routine, it is recommended to check with your doctor first to ensure that a probiotic is a good fit for your goals and will benefit your overall health. These points are important factors in aiding you in selecting the best probiotics overall.
Discerning The Strain You need
When it comes to bacteria, scientists use a simple way of naming them: genus, species, and strain. On labels, you will see ingredients such as “Bifidobacterium longum W11” which states the genus, species, and strain of beneficial bacteria used in the supplement.
Each Genus and species of bacteria serves a different purpose within our bodies, but some can have overlapping beneficial effects for certain conditions.
There are thousands of different beneficial bacteria found in our bodies and in probiotic supplements, but there are three common ones that serve a variety of purposes within our bodies and have proven to be the most beneficial: Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and Saccharomyces boulardii.
This bacteria is predominately found within the small intestine and aids in supporting digestion and the immune system. There are three main species of this bacteria that can be found within our bodies and have different purposes: L. acidophilus, L. plantarum, and L. paracasei.
- L. acidophilus: Supports inflammatory response within the gut.
- L. plantarum: Antioxidant activities, helps to maintain intestinal permeability, and suppresses the growth of gas-producing bacteria.
- L. paracasei: Supports immune health and aids in digestion.
This bacteria primarily lives within our colon or large intestine. They produce the very important short-chain fatty acid butyrate, which supplies energy to the cells of the colon to keep them functioning properly.
Butyrate is also absorbed throughout the body, where it regulates a variety of metabolic processes, such as your sensitivity to the hormone insulin that regulates your body’s reaction to sugar and memory formations in the brain.
This is a type of friendly yeast that promotes the health of the intestinal lining, helping support healthy junctions and protect from microbial imbalances within the gut. It is very competitive with other friendly yeast within the gut, and it is best to speak with your doctor before taking a probiotic that is heavy with this bacteria to prevent adverse effects.
What Causes Gastritis?
Flare-ups of gastritis are most often the result of infections with the same bacterium that causes most stomach ulcers or the regular use of certain NSAID pain relievers like Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen. Other causes of gastritis include:
- Excessive and persistent Alcohol usage
- Injury to the Mucosa (stomach lining)
- Chronic Vomiting
- Bile Reflux
- autoimmune gastritis (when your Immune System starts attacking the stomach cells)
- Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)
- Excessive Stress
- Cancer Treatments
- Other diseases and conditions (HIV/AIDS, Crohn’s disease, celiac disease, sarcoidosis, and parasitic infections)
Gastritis has some very common symptoms but can sometimes be asymptomatic or lack a display of symptoms.
Common symptoms and signs of gastritis include:
- Burning or gnawing feeling in the stomach between meals or at night
- Nausea or recurring upset stomach
- Persistent burping/ belching
- Feeling full in your upper abdomen after eating
- Abdominal Bloating
- Loss of appetite
- Persistent Hiccups
- Black, tarry stools
- Vomiting blood or coffee ground-like material
If you suspect that you have gastritis, you should consult with your doctor soon or mention it at your next check-up. Consult with your doctor quickly if you display the common symptoms of gastritis.
How Do Probiotics Work?
Probiotics are beneficial strains of live bacteria that work with digestion and with the immune system to combat pathogenic microorganisms in the stomach and intestinal tracts, improving the health and functionality of the gut and digestive functions.
Once past the stomach, probiotics are released and work within the lining of your intestines to promote healthier gut activity, keep your body healthy and defend against bad bacteria.
Ultimately, it is crucial to understand that probiotics are not a cure for gastritis, but taking them in conjunction with prescribed medications from your doctor has proven to aid in the healing process of remedying gastritis. They have also shown positive results in helping to prevent gastritis from occurring in some studies.
Probiotics are not extensively or solely a preventative for gastritis, but in conjunction with a balanced diet, medications (if required by a doctor), and an overall healthy lifestyle, you can reduce your risk for gastritis considerably.